Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reserved Excitement for the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV - from Wired.com

After working with the Canon EOS-1D MK3 for the past year, I found myself in love with the camera’s build, it’s rugged and very ergonomically designed, but not so enamored with some of it’s technical short comings; its LCD monitor always felt dull and difficult to look at and even after firmware updates I always had trouble with the auto-focus.

Yesterday’s announcement of the new Canon EOS 1D MK4, the MK3’s replacement, got me excited about the updates to those features, and although the 1080p video option is impressive, I still want my DSLR to be the most badass still camera it can be. The new LCD screen has an anti-reflective service and a 920,000 dot resolution, up from the MK3’s 230,000, and, according to Canon, an updated focusing algorithm. Those feature updates would essentially make this drive like the 5D Mark II, my weapon of choice recently. Though oddly, unlike the 5D, the 1D continues to lack a full frame sensor so I’m guessing I’d still reach for the 5D to get the most out of my prime lenses.

While the quality of the 1D Mark IV’s new top ISO (102,400) is still to be determined, it’s an impressive boost to sensitivity. On top of all the new additions, the 1D build quality makes for a very pleasant shooting experience over cheaper cameras and I’m excited to get this thing dirty and test out it’s durability. Let us know what you think of the new specs in the comments. -source

***
I'm sure many of the users of the old 1D Mark III will be excited with the Canon 1D Mark IV. Of course, the Canon 1D Mark IV is yet to be tested.

---
Buy the Canon 1D Mark IV from B&H Photo
Buy the Canon 1D Mark IV from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment